NACRA Sailing international has been following the development of the F16 class meticulously. Mainly consisting of homemade boats at first, but now maturing as the F16 class received the ISAF status “recognized class” at the end of 2010. After receiving this news, NACRA Sailing International decided it was time to get involved and started developments.
Potential sales to five big groups:
- The solo sailors that just want to go out whenever it suits her/him
- Parents teaching their kids learning to race around the buoys
- Sailors that just want a light multihull with large range of sail and crew weight versatility
- Light racing teams that are too light for F18 but are searching for an exciting competitive boat
- Couples/mixed teams that are pushing the boundaries of what is possible with a boat
The NACRA F16 is designed & engineered by the world famous multihull construction company Morrelli & Melvin based in Huntington Beach California USA. Peter Vink overseeing this F16 project as counterpart on behalf of NACRA Sailing International explains on the NACRA F16.
” In a young class, as the F16 class is, we had to come up with a design that needs to be the benchmark for a long time. A 16 footer that can be used by recreational sailors and/or racing teams, pushing the limits of what is possible. Just get onboard and start exploring, with the launch of this F16, NACRA is not one step ahead but miles ”
Morrelli/Melvin already proved to be a successful combination with NACRA with several earlier designs such as the NACRA Playcat (1995), NACRA Inter F18(1995), NACRA F18 Infusion(2005) & The NACRA F20 Carbon(2009). Both F18’s designed by Morrelli/Melvin became World Champion in the F18 class numerous times, the F20 Carbon is proving to be a true racing machine sailed by the more heavier sailors and winning events on line honors and handicap. Morrelli/Melvin is widely involved in the latest America’s cup designs and always on top of what knowledge is available to implement in new designs such as this NACRA F16.